I created this smoothie a day after I returned from travel and desperately needed to reinstate some health. It is clean and mild without any one strong flavor. Included are some of my favorite things that I consider to be superfoods.
- Greens: mix of baby kale, baby spinach, and baby swiss chard (folate, iron, calcium, vitamins)
- Berries (fiber, vitamins, low glycemic index )
- Cinnamon (anti-inflammatory and aids in balancing blood sugar)
- Hemp seeds (protein of choice this time and fiber as well as rich in Omega 3)
- Almond butter (adds richness, flavor, fat, and protein as this was a meal replacement smoothie)
- Dates (natural sweetener, fiber, magnesium)
- Cacao nibs (potassium, magnesium, fiber, antioxidants)
I add my greens first as they are easiest for the blender blades to get through. Some green smoothie resources even recommend blending them briefly with your liquid of choice first and then adding everything else in.
The fresh or frozen fruit goes in next.
Hemp seeds, nut butter, cinnamon, and cacao nibs follow.
The birds’ eye view is really quite lovely.
Blend and pour.
Charlotte Veggie Original
DF, GF, GRF
Makes two 10-12 oz. servings
Blend up the following:
3 cups Trader Joe’s Power to the Greens or Organic Girl Super Greens
1.5 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
5 dried dates
3 tbsp shelled hempseeds
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp almond butter
2 tbsp cacao nibs
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 cup water
Ice is optional if you use fresh strawberries and not needed if you use frozen.