I’m aiming to quit regular coffee consumption. Again. There are a few reasons for this:
- It really doesn’t pep me up. More than anything, a hot drink in the morning is comforting. I like the taste of coffee very much but I like the warm cup even more.
- I feel wasteful. I rarely get through a cup. In fact, I tend to drink the second half of my cup with ice in the afternoon or reheated in the microwave.
- I don’t get headaches or withdrawal symptoms when I don’t have it.
- The acidity does cause me digestive discomfort especially if I drink it on an empty stomach.
- I recently saw an ENT doctor for a hoarseness and cutting out coffee has improved my voice.
- I was pretty late to the coffee game. I’ve drank it intermittently for 6-7 years.
- I did switch to buying organic, fair trade coffee and cut out adding dairy, natural, and artificial sweeteners to my cup of joe about 3 years ago but I just don’t want to be dependent on anything.
- There are too many fluids in my morning routine! I prefer to have warm lemon water or dandelion root tea first thing and a smoothie in the mornings. Coffee being drink #3 was making me feel a liquid overload.
- The association with adrenal fatigue. I myself can’t debate between the benefits and risks of coffee. I’m often torn. But for now, I have to go with what feels good for my body and my stomach is sensitive to coffee.
I will absolutely drink it from time to time but I don’t want to feel like I have to have it. I prefer to have it as a winter treat, with dessert, over meeting with a friend to catch up, etc. It is so much easier to have tea and I love the portability of the bags. I keep tea bags in my purse because you can get free hot water at any shop and they are useful during travel.
I LOVE these frozen green figs. That’s all. Last week, I decided not to have any coffee, just this smoothie, and workout. I was so awake afterwards and continued to feel energized through the day.
Wake Up & Workout Smoothie
GF, GRF, DF
Makes 1 tall smoothie
Blend the following:
1.5 cups baby spinach (can sub power/super greens)
1 small apple
1 frozen fig (Trader Joes’)
6-8 fresh or frozen strawberries
1/2 inch ginger
2 tbsp hemp seeds (or chia seeds)
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (can sub other milk or water)
1/2 cup ice (can omit if using frozen strawberries)
What are your thoughts on coffee? Does it help you? Are there reasons you quit?